Special Needs Dentistry
Helping all patients with every need
Kids with special needs often face unique challenges when it comes to dental care. Certain conditions may also affect dental development. Also, some children with special needs may not be able to brush their teeth until later into childhood, that’s where Mount Airy Pediatric Dentistry can help. Our friendly dentists and technicians have years of experience working with kids with special needs. We have seen patients with Down Syndrome, Cerebral Palsy, Autism, and other needs. We understand the challenges and will develop a workable care plan that you can work with at home.
Overcoming barriers together
Our goal is to teach your children how to brush their teeth on their own. However, getting to that point can be a challenge which is why we have developed a program that will teach the fundamentals of teeth brushing to your children.
- Determine a child’s abilities by asking them to demonstrate how they would brush their teeth – and provide specific recommendations based on the results.
- Provide hands-on demonstration that shows parents and caregivers the best way to brush their children’s teeth.
- Modify toothbrush handles to make them easier to use.
- Provide dental aides such as unique toothbrushes and floss holders.
- Recommend antimicrobial treatments and preventative fluoride to support the child’s oral health.
Discover a welcoming environment
Our goal is to build a bond of trust and friendship with your children. Children with special needs often need to feel safe in their environment. We understand that certain sights, sounds, and other elements of the environment can be difficult for children with special needs. Mount Airy Pediatric Dentistry will work to minimize stressful environments so they can get the care they need. Call our offices to learn more!